Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

He broken his dew claw and half broken can I cut it, No

Customer Question

He broken his dew claw and half broken can I cut it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No blood
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Badger 3.5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Badger?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Badger has broken his dewclaw. The concern with cutting is where the break is and whether cutting will result in cutting the quick which will lead to bleeding. It would likely be best to have your veterinarian look at the nail prior to cutting to ensure this is done safely and no one is harmed.

These are some guidelines until your vet opens in the morning:

The most important thing is to not allow licking. This is critical as the mouth is full of bacteria and will introduce an infection where there is none

Next, since there is no active bleeding try to put a sock on the foot so that the nail is not further damages or dislodged and causes bleeding also prevent further licking as well. As long as it is not actively bleeding and you are able to place a sock on the foot you should be alright until tomorrow when your veterinarian can see you both.

As I mentioned, unfortunately ideal is for your veterinarian to pull the nail and it is not recommended attempting this at home. It can be quite painful, cause a lot of bleeding, and sometimes dogs will snap while pulling with hemostats. It should always be done with two sets of hands

You can also give benadryl (diphenhydramine if available) 1 mg per pound every 6-8 hours to help with the itchiness and desire to lick and allow resting comfortably overnight

If you have any remaining pain medications from any previous surgeries that would be alright to give to help with pain. I would not advise anything over the counter because it will interact with what your veterinarian might dispense for pain

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!