Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We have. 12 yr. old greyhound with severe anxiety during

Customer Question

We have. 12 yr. old greyhound with severe anxiety during thunder storms. We've been giving him acepromazine but ran out. Can we give him Xanex today to keep him calm during a thunderstorm?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Red Hawk has such a tough time with storms. This is common in the more sensitive animals. Since Xanax must be prescribed by your vet, you may consider giving Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease this anxiety. This may not be enough to help your sweet Red Hawk so other medications may be required and Xanax is used in dogs to decrease anxiety. The dose of Xanax is given in this LINK. Unfortunately, I cannot give you advice on the use of a controlled medication but the information you require is listed in this site.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Gordon,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Red Hawk. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All is well thanks. The Benadryl helped him stay calm. We now have him on anti-anxiety medicine prescribed by our vet.

That is great news!! Good job! I know this will help your sweet Red Hawk through the storms.

Have a great day!!