Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

I've been forced into watching my brother in laws dog .The

Customer Question

I've been forced into watching my brother in laws dog .The dog is a one man dog and without his master he has holed himself up in the bed room He wont let us near him and eventually will attack us . So he has been using the bathroom on the floor. The masterbisnt coming back for several more days what can we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Reviewing your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

First, I would notify your brother immediately of exactly what is going on, so you can get any suggestions from him on how to handle his pet. I would imagine, similar situations have happened before since he is 5 years of age.

Second, although it may take some time to get it, there is a over the counter product called Adaptil. It is a dog pheromone product, that releases a chemical in to the air that can help with stress/anxiety. It is called Adaptil, and a larger petstore like Petsmart may carry it.

Third, continue to offer him treats throughout the day so he can build a positive relationship with who is caring for him. It can take time. But, take no risks!
Really unfortunate situation, and sorry you are stuck.
I would also inquire with your brother if he tends to be more male aggressive versus a women caring for him.
Wish I could throw out more suggestions, but his dog definitely would benefit from a professional trainer or these problems will continue every time he leaves and get progressively worse.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

When the owner first left, I assume the dog was just in the livingroom or walking around. So, initially, he was fine. Some pets, if cornered, can also get defensive. So, I don't know if being confined to that room is making him worse, but I can't suggest just letting him out, because I don't know if he will attack you. That is a question to also ask your brother.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your advice..the dog is pretty aggresive and I believe this is the first time he's been left alone In a house. Apparently he was left for a few days in a fenced in area by himself. he is a male Who still has the family jewels . we did insist on a rabies shot. When they got here a month ago. Dog is less aggressive to wife but she is away too and he wouldn't leave room with her either. What about. Some sort of doggie relaxant?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Only way to get it is going to be to have a mobile veterinarian com to the home, otherwise, because it is a prescription, there is no way to get it without an exam or at least a vet onsite.

There are some over the counter calming pills, but they don't work very well under high stress situations.

Some people use benadryl antihistamine for sedative effect, but I think there's no chance for that to safely help in this situation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Like you said I can't just let him out and know way he will let me look him up I couldn't get close enough to hook him up he lets me slide in food but right after he's finished he gets back in attack mode
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Consult your brother for advice. Certainly, I feel he should be responsible for the mess you are going to have on your hands.

Only other option is to consult a professional trainer to come to the home and evaluate the situation. That is not a bad idea.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

I should add. Worst case scenario. Maybe the local Animal Control can assist you to get the pet out of the house and in to a boarding situation. But, please be safe.

I hope my responses were satisfactory. If there was anything I did not address,please reply. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate when you select a feedback rating so I may close the question.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

I hope everything is going okay?

May I be of any further assistance?