Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My lab is stove up in his back end he is eating and has

Customer Question

my lab is stove up in his back end he is eating and has pottied but is wining a bit
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 months ago.

Not exactly sure what you mean by your lab is "stove up" in his back end?

What was the pain pill given?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he is having a hard time walking very stiff and he had vetprofen 100mg for pain
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Andy for you. I suspect that you're seeing signs of degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") in Hammie. The carprofen (Vetprofen) was smart and should be continued to be given every 12 hours.

Supportive evidence of a disk may include vocalizing when approached or lifted, having trouble jumping up or down and navigating steps, ataxia (“drunken sailor”), trembling/shaking (pain responses), a change in posture such as the neck held rigidly and head lower to the ground or a"hunch" in his back, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Hammie's vet will want to carefully palpate (feel) Hammie's dog's spine looking for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggestive of a disk. Conservative care involves the use of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as the carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. These drugs are usually administered for at least ten days. Most simple disks will remiss within a few weeks. It's important to keep these dogs as quiet as possible lest they hurt themselves further.

Should paresis (weakness) or paralysis arise in any limb(s), he'll need the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. Such dogs are then surgical candidates for spinal cord decompression. There are other myelopathies (spinal cord disorders) as well as rarer polymyositis and polyneuritis to consider but a disk is by far the common fidnign in dosgs suc has Hammie. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.