Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My dog acts like something is on his tongue, like if he had

Customer Question

My dog acts like something is on his tongue, like if he had a hair on it, but there is nothing. He also spent the last hour just pacing/running from room the room. That has stopped but the tongue is still going
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tank age 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tank?
Customer: He also swallows with a gulp constantly, has been doing that for about a year. My vet didn't seem concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Constant tongue movement in dogs is definitely something that we associate with something stuck in their mouth or between their teeth. Sometimes it is in the very back and may require sedition to see and remove. If this is a recent thing and started suddenly I would definitely consider taking him to a veterinarian for examination and likely sedation.

However, there are other things that can cause constant licking like that too.... mostly a variety of stomach or esophageal problem. Ranging from acid reflux and esophagitis to some kind of esophageal mass or megaesophagus (dilated esophagus) Occasionally even a stomach ulcer or anything that causes stomach pain and nausea will do it.

It really would be best to have him looked at right away so that if it is something in his mouth it can be addressed. If there is nothing there they should also be able to evaluate the esophagus and may be able to determine that cause of his gulping also.

I hope that helps, but if you have more question please let me know.