Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I have a small shizu cross and he got into and ate some

Customer Question

Hi i have a small shizu cross and he got into and ate some tiger balm last night. He has been throwing up throughout the night and his vomit is coming out formed and kind of looking like poop. How harmful is this and is there anything i can give him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Hill. Tiger Balm is a very strong irritant to the stomach. I would not give any food or water for a few hours this morning. I will look up the ingredients to make sure that it is nothing more than an irritant and get back to you soon.

Hi. I did not find any cases of toxicity on a quick database search. However, Tiger Balm is a concentrated essential oil product that can cause issues if ingested in large enough amounts. It sound like Eddie got enough to cause erosions in the lining of his stomach. If he has not vomited for a couple of hours, you can give him a pepcid 1 mg per 2 pounds body weight by mouth once. No food for several hours today and then as long as he is not throwing up offer a small amount of boneless/skinless chicken and white rice later today, Stomach ulcers can heal on their own, but some are severe enough that they need stronger medication. The safest approach would be to contact the animal poison control center(###) ###-####. They do have a small fee, but they are a national database and will have the most up to date information. Hope this helps and please feel free to ask any additional questions. Take care.

Hi Robin,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Eddie. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill