Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Weiner dog drooling and breathing hard want move and pooped

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is reluctant to move and walk?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just started
Yes, moving very slow
Diarrhea
No
Looks constipated

1- Did she get into anything?

2- Is she arching her back?

3- Is she straining to defecate?

4- The diarrhea started tonight as well?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No that I know of
No
Yes
Yes

1- Is she lethargic?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
15
Look more pink then pale

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, she is not constipated if she has diarrhea. It sounds like her colon (large intestines) is inflamed, for this reason, she is straining. The drooling is secondary to the abdominal issues that she is having, she could be nausea. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. I am a bit concern that she is lethargic, I would want to rule out the ingestion of a foreign body. For this reason I would recommend having her checked tonight by ER veterinarian for a hands-on examination. If you do not have access to ER veterinarian I am going to make some recommendations that you can try until she is seen by family veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into the regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Hi Lee,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kady. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter