Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

After our walk, my Rottie's mouth and lips became swollen

Customer Question

After our walk, my Rottie's mouth and lips became swollen and her tongue is out. Otherwise she is fine
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Her foot?
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Phoebe, Rottweiler, 9 years old. Never had a problem until now
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rottweiler?
Customer: and the swelling came up suddenly
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

How long has this been going on?

Is she having any trouble breathing or has she vomited since this happened?

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. She just looks uncomfortable.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She may have spit up some water a few minutes ago.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the information I just have one more question, how much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She is trim, healthy, well fed, 90 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the information, I'll be right back with your answer

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.

I think she's having an allergic reaction. Since there is no obvious vomting or difficulty breathing then what you need to do is give 100mg (4 25mg capsules) of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) a common over the counter human allergy medicine. Give this right away, if we are correct this will relieve the swelling in just a couple of hours. If this problem worsens instead of gets better or is not beginning to resolve in 2 hours then she needs more help than over the counter medicine can provide and she needs prescription treatment from the vet. Likely a steroid shot. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks so much. She just ate some chicken I made for her, so I think it's good that shes hungry thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.

You are quite welcome, a good appetite is a good sign!

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do recall her sticking her big head in a bush and then backing out quick, but no crying. She was skunked 2 weeks ago, so not the best summer ever for her. I'll let u know tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.

Best of luck!

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I would love to "rate" your advice, which was good. But unfortunately, you overcharged my credit card-----I've never been to this site before, I Googled my question, (about my dog's swollen mouth), your site appeared, and I asked a question and your site said I had to pay $3.50 for the answer. No Problem that the charge debited from my account was actually $3.92, but you also snatched an additional $16.45. I did not sign up for a free trial. I did not sign up for 7 days of free answers. I did not request a phone call. I did not speak to anyone over the phone. I requested one answer and paid $3.50 for an answer. Refund my account a total of $16.45. I have already contacted my bank. Thank you. Stephanie ****
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.

For your saftey I have zero control over your credit card, but I have flagged customer service for you to clear up any misunderstandings. I hope Phoebe is feeling better