Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 12 pound poodle mix gets up every several minutes and

Customer Question

my 12 pound poodle mix gets up every several minutes and runs around like she is looking for something. I've taken her for a long walk, she hasn't pooped since this morning. Worried she may have cramps. She's fine other wise. We feed her dry dog food from the vet, homemade treats. She's drinking ok. Can I give her pepto bismal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the poodle. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the poodle?
Customer: She is NOT lethargic. She is fine, playful, just the past few hours has been running around periodically, whining, then settles down and is fine for a while. She's done this about 10 times since lunch. We went for a mile walk and she was fine, even social with other dogs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I'm reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

Let me rule out a few things. Could she be in heat or is she spayed?

Did this behavior begin right after she was outside?

How old is she?

And one more: Do you know where the anal glands are? Is the area swollen?

Pepto-bismol is for diarrhea which she doesn't have.

Have you given her anything besides the dry dog food? treats? food from the table?

Does she look bloated?