Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog just ate a small part of a pencil maybe and half inch

Customer Question

My dog just ate a small part of a pencil maybe and half inch Is that a problem or is there something we should do ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you confirm it was 1/2 inch approximately? Is it the wood part of the pencil?

And this is a Havenese? How much does she weigh?

If this is part of a wooden pencil, unfortunately we cannot induce vomiting because the material can have sharp edges and do more damage to the esophagus on the way up so at this point all we can do is a few precautionary things to minimize the risk of an obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting it is time to take your dog to the veterinarian and have them evaluated/ x-rayed

If this is the eraser metal part then we should consider inducing vomiting but this would be the only reason because this is a potential foreign body and will not have sharper edges. Below is if this is the wooden part which is much more likely:

1.) Feed 1 piece of bread now

2.) Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion

3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through and protect the edges from causing damage

4.) Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if they pass on it passes on its own

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good morning! I wanted to check in on Havi to see how things went last night? Has there been any vomiting? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Hi Maureen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Havi. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman