Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

MY DOG IS 32 DAYS PREGNANT. LEAKING MILK/COLOSTRUM ALREADY.

Customer Question

MY DOG IS 32 DAYS PREGNANT. LEAKING MILK/COLOSTRUM ALREADY. IS THIS NORMAL?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

is this her first litter or has she had some in the past?

how old is she?

are we exact on the date of breeding?

what breed?

how old is she?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe its her first litter. only had her 4 days. She is around 8 months old. Pit mix. I was told by a vet this morning that she was 32 days. I forgot to ask this question while I was at the vet this morning. Just trying to not have to wait until Monday morning.

if she is only 8 mo then yes it is definitely her first litter. how was the vet able to say 32 days? did they do an ultrasound?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she palpated. she has been my vet for 10 years, so I trust her.

The reason why i ask is because there is no way to say an exact date just by palpating, at day 32 these would be very,,very small. you can see it on ultrasound by 25 days and on xray by 45 days. as a first litter there should be no reason why she should be lactating at 32 days. which is why if she is able to palpate puppies I believe she may be further along. in most instances as a first litter they typically do not lactate until very close to term and sometimes not until they deliver. if she is having a false pregnancy then you can see lactation from that. they go through all the motions of pregnancy except no puppies come out at the end.

at the absolute max day 50sih would start to see lactation, but that is almost always in bitches who have had multiple litters

if you would like i can opt out and have another professional take over, they might be able to help you more.