Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is diabetic and has been peeing every coupl of hours

Customer Question

my dog is diabetic and has been peeing every coupl of hours since last night... just a few minutes ago i notices blood in the urine that she just left in the kitchen.... the vets are all closed for the day now so i was hoping to find some advice she's 73 pounds... and gets 38 units of insulin twice a day...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry your dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dreya
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dreya?
Customer: sorry... puter froze
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Dreya is having issues with increased urination and blood in her urine. There are a handful of causes including:

1.) A urinary tract infection which is the highest possibility having a history of diabetes, sugar in the urine increases urine alkalinity and is a breeding ground for infection
2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and cause bleeding
3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet
4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the bleeding.

You can purchase pet cranberry chews in this situation in hopes of reducing the pH of her urine but it is also been found to reduce the bacteria's ability to attach to the bladder wall. These are available at your local petstore.

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine on Monday morning.

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms but also ensure that the diabetes is well controlled and not an issue for this new symptom

Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the blood in the urine to get your pet comfortable swiftly

Below is more information on this condition in dogs, called hematuria (blood in urine):

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/hematuria-blood-in-urine-in-dogs

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I hope the information I have provided helped get Dreya more comfortable last night...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!