Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My dog ate some powder desicant I think. I see some of it on

Customer Question

my dog ate some powder desicant I think. I see some of it on the floor and a ripped package taken from a trash can. she is an 18 month old bernadoodle that was 97 lbs. Is it toxic to dogs?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: I saw the residue on the floor.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: i dont believe so. she is not exhibiting any signs of a problem.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your pup ingested something she should not have.
Did you mean the little paper packets filled with silica beads that are found with clothing and in shoe boxes?
If she had swallowed multiple packets whole the concern would be that when they absorbed fluid that could lead to a blockage.
Because she is a big dog though if she chewed up the packet and ate the beads or powder that won't be a problem. They are mildly irritating to mucous membranes but that is it.
No long term effects should be seen.

You can flush out her mouth with cool water to remove any residual powder.
If she seems hesitant to eat today just add more water to her food to make it soupy and easier to swallow.
Things to watch for that are signs to be concerned about are repeated episodes of vomiting and lack of an appetite. But I suspect that you won't notice any difference in her at all.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****