Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital

12 year old Feist came in from a walk and was weak and

Customer Question

12 year old Feist came in from a walk and was weak and dizzy. She was fine when she went out. Has continued for 2 weeks. She has had diabetes for 3 years and up until the event was in good control. Briefly had highs and now is back in control. She is still wobbly.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, no wounds. No tenderness anywhere. Her eyes are not yellowed and with the exception of mild cataracs (sp) she seems sound.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Violet
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Violet?
Customer: With the exception of her lack of balance she is eating and drinking and eliminating. She perks up a little when her sister dog comes over and follows her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She also seems itchy. She is scratching and she usually does not. Her belly is red.
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to help you and Violet. I'd like to ask a few questions to better assess your situation.

1. The weak and dizzy spells only occur after being outside?

2. When was the last time her blood glucose or fructosamine was checked for her diabetes?

3. If you lift her lip, are her gums pink?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is wobbly all the time, the whole episode began after a brief 2-3 minute potty trip outdoors. Her glucose is checked 3-4 times a day within normal ranges except in the morning when the run in the 300 + range. Her diabetes is generally in good control. She is getting 7 units of Novolin 70/30 insulin 3 times a day. She has had several bouts of vomiting but nothing constant. Her gums are pink but not red.

Ok, so wobbly all the time could be a few things

1. Weakness in the back legs or spine (like arthritis). This can be confirmed by your vet and medications started (Dasuquin, Duralactin, if blood work is recent- Rimadyl or Metacam). If she has hip arthritis and is having to scratch herself more, she may be making the arthritis hurt more (overuse of the back legs).

2. Anemia (low red cells). Again, recent BW would have shown this. I would expect her gums to be pale if this was the case (you said they were pink)

3. Heart issues. If she has a heart murmur or an age related weakness starting in the heart, this can cause the wobbly/weakness. Also, an irregular heart rhythm can do this (an arrhythmia).

Back to the itching- are you giving any type of anti-histamine? What food does she eat? Any history of ear infections?

Hello, I wanted to follow up and make sure I have answered your questions. If so please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Christi Belew