Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Is this a free site? Okay Dogs urine is dark brown, shes

Customer Question

Is this a free site?
JA: The Veterinarian's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: Okay Dogs urine is dark brown, shes lethargic, not eating Vet just did labs and no imaging. Said its prob a tumor or pancreatitis and just rx'ed doxy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Shes 10 and has been very healthy up to this point. Shes had a few cases of diarrhea but no bowel movements today
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Labs came back with low red blood count. Doc said she was a little anemic. Could she just be acting like this due to the anemia? If so is there something I can hive her at home to rule out anemia being the cause of her symptoms. Is there also something I can give her to rule out uti or kidney infection? Shes taking doxycycline currently
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There's so much more I need to know to be able to answer you accurately. Her urine is dark brown which usually indicates excessive bile in the urine and she's lethargic which is a nonspecific sign of illness. Her vet is considering a tumor or pancreatitis but I don't know on what basis. I need to review your dog's test results please. Can you upload a copy of the test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as

A "little anemic" is unclear to me. I need to see if the anemia is regenerative (she can replace the red blood cells she lacks) or nonregenerative (she can't efficiently replace the red blood cells she lacks). The former is usually due to blood loss. The latter is usually due to a chronic inflammatory disorder. To answer you directly, a urinalysis +/- bacterial culture and sensitivity of the urine will tell you if a UTI is present and which antibiotics should be considered. An ultrasound of the urinary tract can tell you if her kidneys are involved in the infection.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?