Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Trying to figure out the dosage of mucinex for a 50lb

Customer Question

trying to figure out the dosage of mucinex for a 50lb dog....she has pnuemonia and is on two antibiotics but wanted to give her something for her coughing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Scarlett....he has already put her on 2 antibiotics...just thought mucinex might help as well since the Dr gave it to my husband when he had pnuemonia
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scarlett?
Customer: no she has already been examined by our regular vet....just thought of mucinex today and of course my vet's office is now closed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I understand your good thinking but neither drug in Mucinex is recommended for use in dogs. Guiafenesin can be used to induce muscle relaxation and restraint as an adjunct to anesthesia in dogs but it's given intravenously for that purpose. There are no recommended oral doses for guiafenesin and efficacy is questionable in any event. Dextromethorphan is no longer recommended in dogs due to lack of efficacy and toxicity at high doses.

Over the counter expectorants for dogs are lacking. N-acetylcysteine is available as a 10% solution from Scarlett's vet that can be nebulized. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?