Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog coughs like she's gagging, then eventually seems to

Customer Question

my dog coughs like she's gagging, then eventually seems to swallow as though it's phlem. What can i give her to ease this coughing/gagging. she does it during the night when she's laying down and sleeping. are there signs I should watch for if something is wrong? I read honey three times a day could help. Also, maybe musinex?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If your sweet Millie is otherwise healthy and eating well, this is most likely a Tracheobronchitis or Kennel Cough. This is a very contagious disease that causes a hacking cough so much so that it appears as if they have something stuck in their throat. This is often contracted at a kennel, groomer, or vets office because this disease is air borne. Since this disease is air borne, Millie can pick this up anywhere. Luckily, this is a self limiting disease that will eventually go away on its own. Give Millie 1 teaspoon of Robitussin DM per 20 pounds of her weight given every 8 hrs. This will calm down the cough so she is more comfortable. It is best to have your vet examine Millie considering her age to be sure there is not something else causing this such as an infection or heart disease. This is also the first signs of heart disease and best to check this out.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****