How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan M. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1501
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
23462335
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Dan M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate a block of 70% cocoa cooking chocolate, Chester

Customer Question

My dog ate a block of 70% cocoa cooking chocolate
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chester he's 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chester?
Customer: He's 24kg
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 7 months ago.

Hi,

I am sorry Chester has eaten this chocolate. I suspect that he has eaten a toxic amount of chocolate. Anything above 1.25g per kg of body weight of dark chocolate requires decontamination. So if it is more than 30g of this chocolate, Chester will need to get to a vet. They will need to induce vomiting and provide something like activated charcoal to prevent absorpation of the chocolate form the intestines. Ideally this can be performed within 4 hours on ingestion of the chocolate.

I hope he is OK

Good luck

Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 7 months ago.

Hi,

I just noted a typing error in my answer, I was meant to say absorption of the chocolate from the intestines. Sorry for any confusion.

Regards

Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 7 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan M.