Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Mom's elderly German Shep is not feeling well. She has

Customer Question

My Mom's elderly German Shep is not feeling well. She has had an ear infection which the abx and steroids that her Dr prescribed were not working. My Mom is on a limited income and we have spent $500 or more on the ear infection alone. She was a stray before my Mom had her, she has heart worms and on heart guard Her other meds are Comfortis. Recently, because my Mom can't keep affording the high cost of this ongoing ear infection, I researched essential oils to rid the inflammation and infection. I have used Young Living "Infect Away", with a drop of tea tree oil and frankincense. I don't know if this is related to cause bleeding. I never read that for a side effect on those oils. But tonight I noticed that her chest looked badly bruised but there is no reason (like getting hurt) for that and I checked her gums, well I never actually checked her gums before, they were black. Not sure if this is because of advanced age or that is just her own pigmentation. Any way. it's Fri night (OF COURSE!) and not sure if I should wait and see and I am going to stop essential oils. She eats well and I think that she is voiding and defacating ok but wasn't exactly watching or looking before this moment. Sorry for the long "chat" but thanks for any input.
Lisa
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I forgot to mention that the essential oils were administered topically on the ear only and not ingested.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. No, I wouldn't incriminate the essential oils for what sounds like eccymoses which is a manifestation of a defect in platelets and/or blood vessels resulting in skin or mucous membranes bleeding. Decreased numbers of platelets (thrombocytopenia) due to decreased production (immune-mediated, infection, bone marrow neoplasm, radiation), increased destruction or consumption of platelets (immune-mediated, infection, neoplasm), drug therapy, hepatic disease, disseminated intravascular coagulation, hemorrhage, snake envenomation), and vascular diseases all need to be considered by Sammie's vet which should be done at your earliest convenience.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.