Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We just moved to big island from vegas and our babies are

Customer Question

we just moved to big island from vegas and our babies are itching like crazy, they do not have fleas and we cannot figure out what it is
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the baby's name and age?
Customer: Bella 11 and Lilly 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella 11?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I lived on the Big Island for 3 years. Have Bella and Lilly checked for sarcoptic mange if they've associated with other dogs on the island. This mange is intensely pruritic (itchy) often first noticed on the lateral ear margins and elbows but it can generalize quickly. You might also develop an itchy rash often on the abdominal skin. A flea saliva allergy is still possible because it only takes one flea to bite twice to initiate such an allergy. Atopy - allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites - are common on the Big Island. A food intolerance isn't likely in two dogs in the same household.

Where are you living? I might know a vet close to you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?