Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My teenager is pregnant and my dog is acting off now can do

Customer Question

my teenager is pregnant and my dog is acting off now can do anything to stop her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: no she is a good all the time but in the last month she not
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today.

However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following, you can then expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

1. Please tell me a little more about how your dog is behaving?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She 4 yrs. and she mixed breed

Sorry for the confusion,

Please tell me what aspects of your dog's behaviour are causing you concern ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she is nipping at us

Hello again

Thanks for that, I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. I can see your problem, minor nipping may not be too much of a concern right now, but when the baby comes that could be a different matter.

2. The first way to handle this is behavioural, at the first sign of trouble everyone should stand stock still and firmly tell the dog no, smacking her at this point is not going to help and could make things worse. Then ignore her for five minutes and put her out of the room if possible and leave her on her own. She has to learn that her behaviour is not going to turn into any form of attention seeking.

But when she is good, make a fuss of her now and again, get her to sit beside you, praise her and give her a couple of treats. This really is the carrot and stick approach, and it will need patience, but this is almost always the way forward.

3. Another thing that might help in conjunction with the about is Prozac type drugs from your vet, these will impart a feeling of well being and will enhance the behavioural training. I am not suggesting that this is a long term option but if her behaviour improves you can gradually wean her off them.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her nipping and to check if you needed any more information on the subject ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.