Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

My 12 year old dog has a tumor on the side of his face. I

Customer Question

My 12 year old dog has a tumor on the side of his face. I made an appointment for him at the vet. However he it just started bleeding. Do I take him to an emergency vet or can I do something to help until Monday. He is full of life otherwise.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog has a tumor on his face. How large is the tumor? How much blood is coming from it (oozing, dripping, flowing?)

The first thing I would try is to put a paper towel over the mass and then an icepack over that and apply pressure to the mass. This should stop the bleeding if it isn't too much. If your pup won't tolerate the icepack, you can try just pressure with your hand. This may take up to 5 minutes to stop the bleeding.

If you are able to get the bleeding to stop, he will then need to wear an e-collar (cone) to prevent him from scratching the mass and making it bleed again.

If you can't get the bleeding to stop with 15 minutes of pressure and ice, you will need to take him to the ER tonight.

Does that help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How is your dog now? Were you able to get the tumor to stop bleeding?