Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has excess protein in her urine. I suspect diabetes.

Customer Question

My dog has excess protein in her urine. I suspect diabetes. She is a small dog that should weigh about 8 pounds but is at 12 pounds. Would a reduction of food, basically a diet, help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

When we have increased protein in urine that indicates more of a kidney issue than diabetes. With diabetes we see an increase in glucose in the urine often with a normal protein in the urine. So this would be a completely different treatment protocol.

With diabetes we want to increase carbs while with kidney disease we want to reduce protein and adjusting the diet without this information can progress the underlying diagnosis.

Other differentials for the symptoms include a urinary tract infection (even without overt signs of blood in urine), bladder stones/ crystals, liver issues, endocrine disease such as Cushing's, diabetes. Once diagnostics are done hopefully an answer as far as cause can be determined and appropriate therapy can be initiated but gathering more information is the key to getting her treated and hopefully resolve the symptoms currently experiencing.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Hi Bob,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman