Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog may have eaten one of my moms methadone pills that

Customer Question

My dog may have eaten one of my moms methadone pills that spilled on floor. What to watch for?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if may will be able to digest that. How old is may?
Customer: My dog is 8 yrs & 65 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about may?
Customer: Not sure if he ate it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Can you tell me, do you have 3% hydrogen peroxide at home (the kind used to clean wounds, etc.)? Or can you get some quickly?

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Also, do you know the size of the methadone pill in mg?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
10mg
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately I am not set up for live phone calls. If you prefer that, I can opt out of your question, or we can continue to live chat here. Just let me know how you wish to proceed.

Is your dog on any other medications?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I just thought that was my only option
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No other meds & very healthy
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Showing no changes in behavior. It has been over 30 mins
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Looking through some research papers, it does appear that methadone has been studied as a pain reliever in dogs when given as an injection. I cannot find any references right now as an oral medication, but as an injection, a dog the size of your dog (you said 65 pounds?) would be give up to a 20mg dose. So hopefully the amount he ingested is not enough to cause any toxicity, though it could cause drowsiness or nausea. If you want to play it safe, I would recommend inducing vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide. You can give up to 45 ml of hydrogen peroxide orally (if he hasn't eaten in a few hours, give a snack first) and then watch him. If no vomiting occurs, then you can repeat this one time, and one time only.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I want to know toxicity & what to watch for
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Signs of toxicity would include respiratory depression, CNS depression (being lethargic/non responsive), decreased body temperature, and muscle weakness.

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Normal body temperature is 100.5 to 102.5 in a dog. Normal respiratory rate is 10 to 30 breaths per minute.

If you do feel you are seeing these signs develop, then I would take him in to a vet right away. But as I said, based on my drug formulary and research articles, the dose he received would be a normal dose given to a 65 pound dog, so I wouldn't expect severe side effects unless he is for some reason overly sensitive to the drug.

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions! If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your questions. Thank you and best of luck to you!!!

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

I am getting ready to sign off my computer for a bit, but don't want to leave you if you still had a question. Are you still online? Did you have any other questions that I did not answer about your dog?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is doing good no problems
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

I am glad to hear that he is doing good!!! I hope he continues to do so. Let me know if you have other questions!

If you can take a moment to click and rate our conversation (you should see in the upper right hand corner of your screen a location where you can rate based on number of stars) so that I can receive credit for helping you today (this is the only way in which I get compensated) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you again!