Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She is a small 8lb dog, and was just bitten or stung by what

Customer Question

She is a small 8lb dog, and was just bitten or stung by what appears to be yellow jacket, there is some swelling on the front of her paw!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No , no bleeding, just swelling and she cant or wont walk on it
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Taz
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Taz?
Customer: She may be pregnant, appox four days!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

The poor dear!

Now if Taz could be pregnant this makes treating this sting tricky. Often vets will use steroids to nip these types of allergic reactions in the bud, but that isn't safe for pregnancy. As well, there is very little data on the safety of antihistamines with pregnancy in dogs. So, the ideal approach would be cool compress the paw and apply a paste of baking soda and water to the sting site. Though if she is very sore or swollen with this, then you can ring her vet about using OTC Chlorphenamine (4mg every 12 hours) or Loritadine (5mg once daily) as these tend to be considered safer antihistamines for pregnant dogs and could be used if she is suffering with this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?