Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dogs pupil not perfectly round..is that normal?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am unable to attach a picture
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Anyway the top portion on one pupil ..bumps out..the iris almost looks like it slices through the pupil (the slice is hair thin)
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

It isn't, Britney. A distorted pupil and scalloping at the pupillary margin indicates iris atrophy in older dogs. There may be a "moth-eaten" effect in the iris stroma. A distorted pupil and a "red eye" can indicate adhesions of the iris to the lens and/or iris to the cornea (posterior and anterior synechia, respectively. It would be prudent to have Nico's eye checked by his vet. If the vet isn't comfortable performing such an exam, Nico will be referred to a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist (www.advo.org). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I wish i can attach the pix
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hahah oops wrong pic attached! Am tryinf again

I like the arty pic!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Lol. Sorry. Am trying to send a the actual pic!What type of complications can this cause?

Iris atrophy is benign and not expect to cause a problem. Synechias, however, indicate serious underlying ocular problems which would need to be addressed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You might have to zoom in with the picture. Apparently the size doesnt allow large files to be sent
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is the Synechias emergency? I kbow eye problems can progress very quickly and turn serious.If this is iris atrophy..is it seen in older dogs? Can it progress to vision problems?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He had some mucous discharge in that eye this morning..very watery, mostly white in color. (He has never had that before) ..i was examining him with a light and then discovered the weird pupil

I regret that the lighting isn't good enough for me to evaluate his pupil. I recommend eyes be attended to at your earliest convenience. As you mentioned eyes can "go south" in a hurry. Yes, as mentioned above iris atrophy is an older dog disorder. It isn't expected to become problematic. That discharge is another clue that the pupillary distortion should be investigated sooner than later. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you see that pic? If you look at the top youll see the pupil has an extra "bump"

I can't make out a bump but the pupil is certainly distorted. Please have that looked at promptly. I have to be concerned about iris cysts (benign) and melanoma (malignant).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would melanoma of the iris present like that? Is this something that is common? What is the prognosis

Yes, it could, it's reasonably common and if present would prompt enucleation.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry one more q..is this something that spreads to other parts of the body? This tyoe of cancer

Melanoma often metastasizes both locally and to distant sites.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Wouodnt melanomas present as black spots on the iris and or pupil? Id assume they would be more distinct..this is definitely part of his pupil that is mishaped

Yes, but that's not the only manner in which it could present. You mustn't dwell on melanoma; there are other less dire reasons for a distorted pupil!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
For reference..his eye look almost exactly like the eye attached from the site
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He has the scalloping on the other eye, too

Yes, iris atrophy as I mentioned...which makes more sense when both eyes are affected. Good work!

Hi Britney,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nico. How is everything going?