Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 2 year old boxer and I'm not sure what she could've

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2 year old boxer and I'm not sure what she could've eaten but she seems pretty lethargic to me. I feel she's in pain as sometimes her breathing is short and quick followed by a long snarling one and back to a normal pace. After that her stomach starts making all these weird gurgling noises even though she hasn't eaten all day. I gave her some probiotics for digestive problems but nothing's changed. Currently she has her 2 back legs curled up to her and every now and then her muscles twitch a bit. When I try to get her up she stands stretches and then back down. Should I take her in ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that Eazy is not feeling well today. It does sound like her gi tract is upset and the probiotics may help but likely will not treat whatever is causing her underlying issue. The increased gurgling of her gut is increased gi motility, laying in the curled position is an indicator as well of gut pain but then adding in the muscle twitch which for a dog does lean towards malaise I would absolutely advise a veterinary exam for her.

They can give her medications to control the gi noises and discomfort and hopefully allow her to rest more comfortably but also stimulate her appetite as well.

Reasons to consider a veterinary er tonight:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Eazy doing since you asked your question yesterday? I hope my information was helpful to you both and would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!