Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

He is a german shepherd pup and keeps shaking his head and

Customer Question

He is a german shepherd pup and keeps shaking his head and digging at his left ear. We've washed his ear with professional wash and nothing has helped. I can not and will not take him to the vet because we cant afford her prices. What do you recommend? There is NO smell.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max is 9 months old :)
JA: How old is Max?
Customer: Max is 9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: Nope. Otherwise he's as healthy as can be. :)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like you're dealing with an ear infection, as I'm sure you know. The common signs include itching at the ears, shaking the head and inflammation/ debris visualized in the ear canal.

These can be treated with topical ear medication. The meds include an anti-fungal for the yeast, antibiotic for the bacteria and steroid for the inflammation in the ear canal. Otomax is the most commonly used. If you're unable to do that, then you may want to try a peroxide rinse. Hydrogen Peroxide has some antibacterial properties. You can mix peroxide with warm water water and flush out each ear canal once every 24-48 hours for 7-10 days.

You can also give Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1-2 mg per lb every 6-8 hours as needed for the itching and head shaking.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.