Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

8 years old Havernese with conic Cherry eye. Is there a good

Customer Question

Hi, 8 years old Havernese with conic Cherry eye. Is there a good medication or steroid drops to reduce the size? The rest of my family doesn't want the surgical option
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: No otherowise very healthy.. minor skin irritation, he can get compulsive from time to time..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you came here for the truth.... This condition is basically a tear gland that has moved to the wrong place. In order for it to be fixed it must be physically moved back which means surgery. There is no medication that will physically move the gland around in the eye socket. One option you do have is to just leave it. It is silly looking but not harmful in most cases. If the family is not terribly concerned about the appearance surgery is not required. If we don't want to look at it anymore however, then surgery is the only option. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you.. yes I read up on it and was coming to that conclusion. I didn't know if it could be reduced in size with the right medication. Thank you again
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 months ago.

You are quite welcome!

To be completely fair there are medications that can reduce inflammation but the reduction is more on the microscopic level, we would not be able to see results with the naked eye.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan