Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

He is not drinking water threw up the first day and he is

Customer Question

He is not drinking water threw up the first day and he is sick you can tell
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No we are thinking he drank from mop water he is a indoor dog and his water bowl didn't have water
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Benji
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Benji?
Customer: He's been standing in place so I know there's discomfort
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Benji is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is Benji?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How much does he weigh?

5- How long since the last time he vomited?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Benji is 2 yes old
He got into mop water with fabulous
No prescription existing conditions
Vomited on Monday
Just not himself very calm not moving he is in discomfort stands in same spot for long period of time hasn't been sleeping and this morning had mucus from nose also he is weezing a little at times like congestion in chest

1- He has not vomited again since Monday, correct?

2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

3- Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hasn't Vomited since Monday correct gums
Gums are pink for most part on right side darker color
Have to get a rectal thermometer

Thank you for answering all of my questions. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer.

Friend, I am sorry that Benji is not feeling well, I am certain this must worry you. But, as you may have suspected it is possible this could be related to the mop water. You see, the ingestion of mop water with fabuloso can cause gastrointestinal ulceration, abdominal pain, vomiting, etc. this certainly can explain his symptoms. Or, there could be something else completely different like ingestion of a foreign body, pancreatitis, infections, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, unfortunately, we are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having him checked today by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. In addition, he may need supportive care like IV fluids, GI protectants, etc. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 5-7 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- Change his diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

3- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.