Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog got sprayed by a skunk a few days ago it wasn't full

Customer Question

Hi, my dog got sprayed by a skunk a few days ago it wasn't full on as he wasn't the target my other dog was (she fine, bathed and normal). We bathed him got rid of most of the smell, a faint order lingers if you sniff real close to him. He threw up a few times. The problem is he's stopped eating and he turns away from treats even human food his favourite being carrots. He's always had a heathy appetite. He is drinking water though. My thought is he got a little spray in his mouth...i just want to get him eating again...thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no this happen in our own yard
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Name Aussie 11yrs old a very healthy 11yrs normally
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Aussie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Aussie?
Customer: this is the first time i have ever had any concerns with him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Skunk spray is pretty irritating if it goes in the mouth or if it's swallowed. You're probably dealing with some ulceration in the stomach and esophagus secondary to this. To help with the signs, you can give an over the counter antacid for a few days. You can pick up Pepcid 10 mg and give 1 tablet orally twice daily.

To help with the lingering smell, you can use a skunk recipe that works well (assuming it's not what you already used):

> 1 quart hydrogen peroxide

> 1/4 cup baking soda

> 1 tablespoon dawn dish soap

Mix it up, lather it on, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, rinse.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. I will try the pepcid tablets. The faint linger aroma is more due to his thick coat being an Aussie sheppard/heeler cross his coat is very dense. He was sprayed by a skunk full on 5 yrs ago took a few baths to get to faint then for a while whenever he got wet you'd get a faint whiff. Thank you again
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

You're welcome. Happy to help.