How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19293
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just used toothpaste containing xylitol on my dog :(

Customer Question

I just used toothpaste containing xylitol on my dog :( should I take him in to the hospital now? No symptoms so far though. I am not sure if the dosage in the toothpaste (1 brush) is concerning. Pls advise. My dog is a 18 lbs shih tsu. Thx.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Yes, you should take your dog to a vet now. Xylitol can take effect within minutes. It works by telling the pancreas to release large amounts of insulin. This drops the blood glucose in the body. We treat by putting these dogs on a glucose (Dextrose) IV drip for 12-48 hours- as long as it takes to normalize.

We can also see liver toxicity in some dogs, although this is much less common.

With rapid treatment, these guys have a good prognosis for full recovery.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary

Related Dog Veterinary Questions