Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog is not acting her normal self. She has esten and will

Customer Question

My dog is not acting her normal self.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: She has esten and will drink some fluids. But no tail wagging, not happy,
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Flower, she is approximately 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Flower?
Customer: She is a Chinese crested and a rescue from a puppy mill. I have had her for 3.5 years now Her puppy who is 6 months I am treating for possible poisoning/parvo. No bloody diarrhea but vomiting, lislessness. He is much better. It has been 3 days
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like she may have a fever. That is often a cause of lethargy and weakness in dogs. The fact that she's still eating and drinking is good. If you want to check her temperature, you can use a digital thermometer and take a rectal temp. Normal is 100-102. > 103 is a fever.

If she does have a fever, then I would get her seen and started on antibiotics. If the temp is normal, then I may try some anti-inflammatory meds in case she's painful. If you want to try something at home, you can use Aspirin. The dose in dogs is 5 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.