Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Can I give my dog a bendryl has iching and red spots on

Customer Question

can I give my dog a bendryl has iching and red spots on chest maybe grass she is 17 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply which you will be able to read here sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

Alternatively we also have the option to talk things over by telephone, I will be very pleased to call you back within the next few minutes and discuss your dog's case with you in depth if this is more convenient for you. Please let me know if you would like to arrange the call. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would like for u to text me with the answer

No problem, I am typing out your answer now.

You should have it in a few minutes ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please answer in text

Hello again

I have worked out an initial reply for you below, please read it though and feel free to ask for any clarification, I am very glad to chat back and forth until you are happy with my answer.

1. In direct answer to your question : Benadryl is used frequently in the dog where allergic reactions are suspected and a typical dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day. { Thus 17 mg in your case }

2. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of the advice I have given and read contraindications etc. : LINK

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can u give answer I am waiting thank u

You should be able to read the answer now ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would like to know can I give her 25 mg she is 16 pounds I have cap to give
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you sent me readings I am asking you is 25 mg okay for her she is 16 pounds, please answer
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i need to give this as soon as possible for her i washed her chest as well

Please stand by, I am typing out your answer now, it takes me a few minutes each time but rest assured I am working on your problem.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

Very glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. 25 mg is a little on the high side for a 16 pound dog compared to what I normally suggest but it should still be OK since the top dose for dogs is 2 mg per pound of bodyweight. This would mean a top dose of 32 mg for your dog so 25 mg is within that.

2. You may see a little sedation at the higher level doses.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of Benadryl ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.