Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have been in practice for 44 years and practice holistic

Customer Question

I have been in practice for 44 years and practice holistic and conventionalmedicine but I haven't found anything to work on this 3 year old basset hound. She's never had a seizure but she has rhythmic jerking all over her body with periods of whining and crying. Three weeks ago she had cervical pain and I adjusted her and put her on natural meds and she's healing very nicely from the pinched nerve in her neck. Two weeks ago she developed this constant jerking, like chronic hiccoughs. I've tried, baytril, pred, phenobarbital, robaxin, benadryl, gabapentin and homeopathic remedies for tremors, seizures and jerking, all to no avail. I have adjusted her diaphragm with no improvement. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, ***** ***** DVM
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

Hey Joanne,

This is tough. The only other thing I may try is an oral benzo like Alprazolam.

The other thing I'd make sure of is the Pred trial. Did you do immuno-suppressive doses 1-2 mg/kg/day for a good 1-2 months and then taper? I would try the higher dose and a slow taper over 6-8 months.

It doesn't sound like true seizures, so that's why I wouldn't necessarily go the Phenobarb or Zonisamide route. I think it's more of a neuro-muscular thing, where benzos would have a better effect.

Of course if they could see a neurologist that would be ideal. I know that's not always in the cards, though.

Let me know how it goes,

Gary Ryder, DVM