Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I accidentally dbl. dosed my dog on insillin. What should I

Customer Question

I accidentally dbl. dosed my dog on insillin. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gracie and she's almost 8 ... 18 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?
Customer: Her normal dose is 10 units. I gave it to her and a half hour later my husband gave it to her again
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply which you will be able to read here sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

Alternatively we also have the option to talk things over by telephone, I will be very pleased to call you back within the next few minutes and discuss your dog's case with you in depth if this is more convenient for you. Please let me know if you would like to arrange the call. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No.. Just tell me what to do please

Hello again

I have worked out an initial reply for you below, please read it though and feel free to ask for any clarification, I am very glad to chat back and forth until you are happy with my answer.

I have encountered just this situation on a number of occasions and my advice to my clients was along the following lines :

1. Clearly the effect of the extra insulin will be to reduce your dog's blood sugar and there will therefor be some degree of chance of a hypoglycaemic crisis which can be a dangerous situation.

2. The remedy is to keep your dog's blood sugar high by giving it extra food. Give your dog an extra carbohydrate rich meal now consisting of her normal food and then repeat this three hours from now and again three hours after.

3. Signs of low blood sugar { hypoglycaemia } would include lethargy and incoordination, if you think this has happened then give her sugar or glucose or some sweet thing like honey orally, but if she does not respond then get her to an ER vet without delay ..

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Gracie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the insulin double dose ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.