Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 4 yr. Old husky and a 2yr. old pit they fight one

Customer Question

I have a 4 yr. Old husky and a 2yr. old pit bull they fight one another what can I do to stop this I've heard they r both territorial and will fight please help me I love these dogs alot and don't want to give one away please
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Are either of your boys neutered?

You can then expect a written reply which you will be able to read here sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. Alternatively we also have the option to talk things over by telephone, I will be very pleased to call you back within the next few minutes and discuss your dog's case with you in depth if this is more convenient for you. Please let me know if you would like to arrange the call. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I only can pay for this one question cancel me after u answer
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my pit is

Yes of course, no problem, when we have finished with this question I will be very glad to contact the site admin on your behalf and make sure that this is a one time question only, no subscription.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No stop I can't afford it. Please cancel after I pay the 36.00 dollars no rather read answer thank u

No problem, noted, I am typing out your answer now.

You should have it in a few minutes ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank u I'll wait for answer

Hello again

I have worked out an initial reply for you below, please read it though and feel free to ask for any clarification, I am very glad to chat back and forth until you are happy with my answer. I know from personal experience that this can be a very frustrating situation, but there are things you can try ...

1. Adult male dogs can fight because of territorial aggression, this is natural behaviour for them and is hormone related, so the single best thing you can do in this sort of situation is to make sure both dogs are neutered. Not just one as in your case.

2. Work out which is the more dominant dog { And therefor pack leader } and try and reinforce his authority, say by petting him more and making a bigger fuss of him and feeding him first. The object here is to make the other dog which is lower ranking in the pack order accept his position and not feel he has to fight to challenge the other dog's authority.

3. Make sure your dog's have enough exercise in the day so they are not bored, dogs which are not pent up expecting their walk are less likely to fight. Make sure your dogs are kept seperate when you are not in the house to supervise them.

4. If the dogs are already fighting then it would be too late to discipline them, try and observe them for any pre-fight body language when they are squaring up to each other, at that point start yelling at them to stop, perhaps throw water over them or sound of one of those mini rape alarms which make a very loud noise. If you can stop them at this point you might get somewhere.

5. Lastly your vet can give you various prescription drugs designed to tone down territorial fighting in male dogs, these are usually tranquillisers such as Prozac. The idea is not to give these long term but to use it in conjunction with everything else and then slowly reduce them if things work out.

This is never an easy behavioural problem but I hope I have given you a few ideas.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dogs are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning territorial aggression ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.