Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog has cancer of the urethral the vet did surgery and

Customer Question

My dog has cancer of the urethral the vet did surgery and put a stent in 6 months ago
This week she started with a bad case of diarrhea with soft black stools I have been treating her for that but it has not gotten any better now she is straining to urinate and she is clotting blood or rather peeing blood clots what should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

With that history, I wouldn't wait around to get her seen. I would get an exam tonight. It's possible that she has a clot stuck in her urethra and she's not able to empty her bladder. If that's the case, then she'll likely need to be catheterized.

If the bladder is small and it's a UTI (urinary tract infection), they can get her on some antibiotics to get the UTI and diarrhea under control. It's not uncommon for diarrhea to predispose to UTI's in dogs as they can get ascending e.coli infections up the urethra.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you think the stent is blocked
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

If she is straining without producing urine, then yeah it's possible. If she's still able to pass urine and some blood clots, then it may just be a bladder infection. I worry when there is straining and no urine production for more than 6-8 hours.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?