Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 14 year old dog is diabetic. He has diarrhea and won't

Customer Question

My 14 year old dog is diabetic. He has diarrhea and won't eat or drink water. My other 2 dogs also had diarrhea.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jacky
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jacky?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

With a diabetic dog, I would probably get him seen sooner rather than trying to wait it out at home. The fact that he's not eating makes giving insulin difficult. I would try to get a blood glucose tonight so you know how much insulin to give. I would also want to get some fluids in him and start some antibiotics. The most common one we use is Metronidazole for GI bugs and diarrhea.

If you can't get him seen tonight, then I would hold off on insulin unless he eats. I would also give a dose of Imodium (Loperamide). If this is a small dog, you can give 1/4 of a 2 mg tab. A medium sized dog would get 1/2 tab and a large dog would get 1 full tab.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.