Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Rescued a one year old from kill shelter, has pneumonia on

Customer Question

Rescued a one year old from kill shelter, has pneumonia on meds and acts healthy, still little sneezing and occasion cough expats last Sunday check back in two weeks. Now rash on he. Heat and a red spot on her inner thigh that is now bleeding ūüėĒ
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Rash on chest and red spot on inner leg now bleeding
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What medication is she currently on?
2) Can you please attach picture of the areas of concern?
3) When did this begin?
4) Was this dog nursing any puppies during her time in the shelter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Enroflaxacin and cough tablets
Not nursing
Couple days ago

Can you please attach picture of the areas of concern?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not with my dog at the moment

Picture will help me the most to see what you're seeing. There's no time limitation on this discussion. Below are instructions on pic/video attachment. I'll be looking for your reply.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, you can post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Any initial feedback with meds and pneumonia?

What can I help you with in regards ***** *****? Are you concerned that you're still seeing some symptoms despite medication?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The rash is my concern?

I understand that and pictures will greatly help me to assist you on that concern. You'd asked if I had had initial feedback with meds and the pneumonia, though. If you are asking if the baytril should be helping with a rash, that depends on what is causing the rash. We often see that dogs with rashes are suffering from allergies, which may be the case here. In this case, no, the antibiotics will likely not help a great deal and treatment specific to the allergies may be needed. If this is a bacterial concern, yes, it should help unless the bacteria causing the rash is not susceptible to bayril. In this case, a skin culture would be advisable to determine the cause of the rash and what antibiotics to use.