Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I have a one year old boxer and his throwing up stuff that

Customer Question

I have a one year old boxer and his throwing up brown stuff that smells normal vet is closed and his thrown up about 4 times now within 5-6 hours?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No all he had today was some dog food. And while I was at work he stays in a kennel. He also has diarrhea.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Moe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Moe?
Customer: I recently got him from a rescue clinic about a week and half ago. I have another boxer with us and she is fine. So I'm kinda at a lose at to what it could be and I'm kinda worried :(
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is lethargic? I want to say he weighs maybe 50-60 pounds his under weight and no aware of any other medical conditions I know he was tested for heartworm a and he is heart work neg and just throwing up brown stuff with an awful smell and diarrhea
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He was a rescue from a clinic. We got him about a week and half ago

Lethargic means without energy.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No his plenty of energy

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you for answering all of my questions.

Friend, I know it is very scary to see your dog vomiting; the odor is directly related to the stomach content being there for a while, this is not an indication of anything bad. The big question is: Why does he have diarrhea and vomiting? Vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting or diarrhea the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him indoors in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep him on this diet for several days then wean him into his regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.