Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I found this on my 4yrs old Glen of imbalance terrier'so

Customer Question

I found this on my 4yrs old Glen of imbalance terrier'so back. Look like a scrape? What is it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Actually, this doesn't look like a scrape as much as a puncture wound or possible ruptured abscess. As well, it looks as if there is a hint of pus-like discharge on the hair around the bottom of this. So, it may be that Coffee was bitten or caught himself on something. Or if he had any microtrauma to the skin or infected cyst that has now opened and started to drain.

For all of these, we'd want to start supportive care. You can flush and clean this wound out with a mild antiseptic wash like dilute chlorohexidine or salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). Any pus should be expressed if possible. This can be done 2-3 times daily and then patted dry afterwards. You can also apply OTC antibiotic cream but with this looking to be a bit deeper then the skin layer, we'd really want his vet to start antibiotics to treat this from the inside out. They can also dispense dog safe pain relief to make sure he stays comfortable with this. And if they feel there may be a foreign body (ie grass awn, foxtail, parasites, etc), the vet can probe this wound to remove anything of that nature. Finally, we dont' want Coffee scratching this and introducing more infection, so a tshirt may need to be used as a breathable cover to protect this area.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Coffee. How is everything going?

nekovet