Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Oh I was just researching conditions and symptoms of our

Customer Question

oh I was just researching conditions and symptoms of our dog, didn't realize this had a chat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: older dog, approximately 13. We have been doing testing for about a month now
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: he had sudden onset of losing control of his urine, hard time going up steps, drinking extreme amounts of water and eating large amounts of food
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: tests show no diabetes type 2
JA: I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: it's not diabetes
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is very lethargic. Normally a pretty inactive dog anyways, but this is more. We saw an internal medicine specialist on a referral from our vet. Tehre is a cyst on his kidney's but the IM doc wasn't concerned. Took two antibiotics in case there was any infection (no signs of any in bloodwork). Those finished 10 days ago. Headed back to our vet for more testing. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. Such polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyphagia (increased hunger) are consistent with not only diabetes mellitus but also Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus. What did the internist have to say about these differential diagnoses?

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The internist was honestly not able to tell anything that could be causing the problems. We are going back for more testing to rule out things. I think Diabetes Inspidus (sp?) is on the table. They aren't thinking anything neurological at this point. should I push for a cat scan of his head for a brain tumor? Is that even operable in a dog?

Diabetes insipidus may be present but it wouldn't explain his polyphagia. If a low dose dexamethasone suppression test - the best for detecting Cushing's disease - is normal and a T4 (total thyroid) test checking for hyperthyroidism is normal - an MRI would be needed to detect a hypothalamic tumor. I can't imagine performing brain surgery on a 13 year old, however, if it were possible. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well he is our baby boy, so whatever means necessary. Thank you, ***** ***** we will just keep forging ahead with his vet to try and unravel this mystery.

Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?