Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I kept the bark collar too tight and he has an open wound on

Customer Question

I kept the bark collar too tight and he has an open wound on his neck. Should I apply any ointment. It's pretty exposed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No. Just exposed
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Miller. Almost 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Miller?
Customer: No. No medical issues
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is the wound gaping open or is it quite superficial?

How long has it been present?

Any discharge or odor from this?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is open and approximately 5 inches across bottom of the neck. It is the width of a collar. I just noticed it last night and there was no wound 2 weeks prior when I reapplyed the collar. there is no discharge, but does have an odor. I am at work, so can't get photo right now. But looks like skin is exposed where collar was applied
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

No worries, if you can post a photo later that would be grand since you didn't mention how deep this wound is. In the meantime, you need to make sure that collar is off until this is fully healed. Furthermore, if there is odor then that is an early warning sign that infection is taking root (which is a worry since this will retard healing). So, we need to tread with and may need the local vet to dispense antibiotics +/- dog safe anti-inflammatories at this stage to nip that in the bud.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** care, ou will want to thoroughly flush this wound out with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, salt water, etc). This will need to be done 2-3 times daily. Afterwards, you will want to pat this dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream. Then we'd want to gently wrap this with a bandage pad and gauze wrap (which should all be OTC at most pharmacies). We want to use these since they are more breathable then some bandages (since we do need to cover this to prevent him from scratching and infecting this more) and can allow this to dry out. Of course, if this is gaping or deep, then we'd need the wound stitched closed by your vet to ensure the edges lay in apposition and can help without severe scaring.

Overall, collar based wounds are not uncommon but we can see a variety, some needing stitching but others no needing that. So, if this is gaping, it will need stitching. But if it is superficial, then we would just use topical care. Of course, if you start the above an we cannot flush away that early infection, then we'd need the local vet to start antibiotics as well to ensure we keep severe infection away and can get this safely healed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )