Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Newfoundland swims everyday in chlorinated pool. I noticed a

Customer Question

Newfoundland swims everyday in chlorinated pool.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: I noticed a small about of hair loss around the eyes. Could this be caused by the pool?
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Beau is a Newfoundland and 3. Would Benedryl be OK? He is not taking any other meds.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Beau?
Customer: He swims in a chlorinated pool daily.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is also getting hot spots which I'm treating with Virbac Genesis.
Should he be taking Benedryl for that issue.
He does not have fleas and my other dogs do not have any hair loss.
Thanks, Wendy
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Wendy, we don't believe that there's enough chlorine in that water to be harmful to dogs even when ingested. Periocular hair loss often results from our dogs excoriating that area secondary to an allergic dermatitis - as evidenced by his hot spots - or perhaps demodicosis - the mange mite Demodex. Antihistamines such as Benadryl aren't reliably effective when addressing allergic dermatitis. The new cytokine antagonist oclacitinib (Apoquel) is preferred and other immunosuppressants such as cyclosporin and prednisone can be considered as well.

Please speak to Beau's vet about the use of these drugs and skin scraping of Beau's periocular skin looking for the Demodex mite. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.