Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.

Our golden retriever just ate 1 20 mg adderal extended

Customer Question

our golden retriever just ate 1 20 mg adderal extended release.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Remi and she is not quite a year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Remi?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

I"m Dr. Karing and I would be glad to help with your question. I need to know how much Remi weighs.

I'm still waiting to hear what Remi weighs, but I do recommend that you give her 1 - 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to try and get her to vomit. I just calculated that dogs up to 90 pounds may have significant side effects from a 20 mg dose of Adderall. Give the peroxide now, if you have it, and head to your vet immediately.

They have stronger drugs to induce vomiting AND they will give activated charcoal to absorb the drug before it gets into her system (i.e. provided you get there quickly). In addition, they will likely place her on IV fluids and administer drugs as necessary to counteract the negative effects of the Adderall.

The drug can cause increased heart rate and blood pressure, increased body temperature, dilated pupils, muscle tremors, seizures, low blood glucose: the effects can be severe and life threatening so please do get to your vet immediately.