Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He has been throwing up he cant even keep water down.

Customer Question

He has been throwing up he cant even keep water down. Actually he doesn't throw up until he drinks water even if it just a couple ounces
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Don't know
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pete he is seven yrs old. Golden
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Golden?
Customer: Again today he did eat some food around 12:30. About 5:00 he drank some water and immediately threw it all up.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Was he able to keep the food down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Five days. Just as soon as he drinks water it all comes out. Do not know if he swallowed something he shouldn't have.
No discomfort that I can find and no diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Poor Pete!!

I am very sorry to hear he has been struggling with such severe nausea for that long already. Especially since the risk of dehydration is quite high here for him. As well, I am concerned that with this severity of nausea, he may be one of those dogs that we need us to bypass their mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication to get them settled.

Still, if he can keep a bit of food down, you could try him with an oral antacid. Of course, if he has just vomited then we will need to rest the stomach for a few hours first. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** pet safe antacid options we can use Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And if he cannot keep even that down, then again we’d want him seen by his vet for injectable treatment.

Though if we can get him settled, we can plan to offer small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing for Pete. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down at all, cannot keep the oral treatments down either, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister infections present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )