Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He jumped off the couch, about 18" high and twisted his rear

Customer Question

He jumped off the couch, about 18" high and twisted his rear leg. It is too late to contact a vet here and looking to see if I may have medicine to give him to help with pain until the morning and the vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound, He favors the leg and trys not to touch it to the floor. He will be laying ther and roll over and let out a wimper and start to lick his thigh area.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kesler, Chihuahua, 2 years old, 6.5 pounds.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kesler?
Customer: Active, no problems, he's been fixed. No health isuues at all. Takes trifexis monthgly for fleas and ticks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Kesler.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, we are limited in what we can use safely in dogs. The only OTC option would be buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE) which can be given every 12 hours with food. Though I do have to warn you that using this would mean that your vet would have to delay using stronger dog specific anti-inflammatories and instead using an opioid (ie Tramadol, Buprenorphine) which could make him sleepy. So if he is very sore, you can use this but need to make his vet aware that he has had this and it would mean starting an alternative pain medication before switching to the usual ones we use for such injuries. Otherwise, if he isn't severely sore, you can just warm compress the leg and keep him rested (no more jumping, stairs, walks) until his vet can see him and dispense a strong dog safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, etc).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was curious if I could cut one of my morphine sulphate or hydrocodone pills down to a dosage that would help him through the night?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Actually, we'd not want to use either of these. Hydrocodone isn't really used for pain in dogs and instead is used to reduce coughing for them.

As well, we'd lean away from using the Morphine since oral preparations can make them vomit and cause severe sedation (and together would be an aspiration risk). Plus the doses we do use are tiny and often very difficult to dose with human preparations. So, neither of those would be ideal here

Best wishes,

Dr. B.