PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a 15 yr old Labrador she is near the end of her life.

Customer Question

Hi I have a 15 yr old Labrador she is near the end of her life. I had a mobile Vetinarian come over to access her 2 days ago. And she agreed that my Coco is in pain and has reached that stage. My issue is that I would like for my Coco to be pain- free for the last few days she will be with us. But she said she would need blood work done first. I can't afford that for one and I really don't see why that would be necessary giving the circumstances. How can I get a script for a few pain pills to last a weeks for my baby girl? Please HELP.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I apologize that no one has reached out to you sooner.

I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

I'm sure it seems rather unfair that this veterinarian would be unwilling to prescribe something for pain considering that they agree that Coco will soon be making her exit from this life. I would go ahead and check with this vet to be sure that they will not allow you to sign a waiver stating that you understand that not running blood work could shorten her life if she is suffering from organ failure or another underlying affliction. Honestly, making a pet comfortable in their last few days to weeks of life should be the most important thing here for the medical professionals seeing her.

Without a script from a vet (unfortunately something this website cannot offer due to licensing regulations), medications cannot be filled. If you are unable to have another examination performed at this time from a different veterinarian who might authorize the script, it would be worth trying to come to an agreement with the vet that has already examined her.

I'm sure this is frustrating news and I apologize there is not an easier solution to be had. Your concern is one that is very common, I'm afraid. Please let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, Misty. How is Coco doing?

Hi Misty,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy