Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog has a rash up in the inner thigh and what was his

Customer Question

My dog has a rash up in the inner thigh and what was his scrotum, it is slightly scaly but is obviously irritating him. He also has been itchy over his sides lately but there is no visible irritation there and he keeps pulling his right cheek up (he is a bulldog/pit bull mix) I am thinking it may be allergies as we've just moved from Massachusetts to Alabama which is a very different climate and set of allergens. He also has a hot spot on his back foot.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Baxter, age 6. I have been using the same medication for ywars
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baxter?
Customer: He does have grain allergies, but is on a grain free food that he has been on for 2 years.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? What medication is he on now for the itching?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He isn't on any medication currently. When it began (as itching on his sides) I have him a hypoallergenic soothing bath thinking it may have just been bug bites, the other symptoms have gradually set on over the past 2 days.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Based on his breed mix and the symptoms that you are describing, I am suspecting that he likely has allergies. With a new environment they probably have flared up. He likely will need oral meds to help with the itching in addition to the shampoo that you are using. Also he may need antibiotics as well to treat the hotspot. I typically prescribe a newer drug called Apoquel for allergies. It seems to work well in most dogs without the side effects of steroids. So I would ask your veterinarian about that drug. Also you may need antibiotics as well to get rid of a possible skin infection

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there anything I can do for him in the meantime? I am unable to get him to the vet until Thursday.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there anything I can do in the event that it is a yeast infection?

You can try to give him Benadryl to see if it helps. The dose will depend on his weight. Most dogs can get somewhere between 25 mg to 50 mg. You just have to make sure it is plain benadryl or diphenhydramine and it does contain any other additional active ingredients.

With a yeast infection you will need to get a shampoo that contains the ingredients Ketoconazole and/or Chlorohexidene. Those are both anti-fungal ingredients.